Monday, May 18, 2020

Marc Faber: Placing everyone in confinement is pure tyranny

On a personal level, it was not the worst crisis I have ever faced. I had many crises when I was younger, but today I have a big house, a big garden and my own office. Consequently, the current crisis affects me less on a personal level.

But things that I never imagined are happening : public authorities which paralyze an entire country, close shops and cafes, and which, like here in Thailand, prohibit the sale of alcohol. I never thought it could happen. Democracy is going up in smoke. The government has taken the reins and behaves like dictators.

Is containment not in the interest of the health of the population?

Statistics show that there are more deaths from diabetes or cardiovascular disease than from coronavirus victims. The measures taken are disproportionate to the disease and will cause more deaths than the Covid-19. It is the poor who will suffer the most from confinement.

But don't get me wrong: I am in favor of quarantining infected people. However, I believe that it is pure tyranny to confine everyone.

How do you explain this decision?

Don't ask me to explain the logic of policy makers. It is a fact that many countries are not led by their Prime Minister, but by incompetent bureaucrats who are not affected by containment and who continue to receive their salaries. But many citizens will find themselves in poverty because of the lockdown.

- Source, Translated from Lecho